Go Back   The Sir. Community™ Forums > Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting > Hardware

Old 04-10-2010   #1
jagblade
Registered

Default Computer Freezes, buzzing noise heard from headphones.

Earlier today I got my first blue screen of death error that stated: IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. Now for some reason each time I started up one of my games, the computer simply freezes up with the same buzzing noise. Now blue screen, just a frozen display. It's like a snapshot of whatever I was doing at the exact moment I crashed. I've heard this may be a driver issue so this may help.

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 285 2gb version (I already had to RMA the second one I had due to faulty GPU memory. Considering just getting rid of them both for a different card, maybe a 485 whenever it's released.)

Driver Version: 197.13 WHQL

I also heard the IRQL error thing leaves a crash report or something of the sort as well. Any idea where I might be able to find this? Thank you for any and all help and sorry if I seem to spam the board with so many issues.

-Jag

*Side note edit* just checked the Evga website. They suggest this driver, though it is out dated.

Driver Version : 196.21 - EVGA Recommended Download
Release Date: 01/19/2010
WHQL Certified : YES

Should I switch to this?

jagblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #2
Sir. bzb
Sir. Community Admin

Send a message via MSN to Sir. bzb
Default Re: Computer Freezes, buzzing noise heard from headphones.

You could try it. I only remember getting an IRQ error when I had a sound card and graphics card sharing an IRQ, might be worth checking.

Sir. bzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #3
jagblade
Registered

Success! I went back to the 196.21 and so far have had no issues. Frame rates dropped slightly for some of my games but hardly noticeable when I'm running about 30-60 FPS

Old 04-11-2010   #4
jagblade
Registered

Spoke too soon @_@ I just BSOD with the following around 4 AM:

NTFS.SYS

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

However, I just redid my driver installation as the first time was a bit messy.

Edit: Just got another BSOD

Fltmgr.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

edit 2: Another BSOD

nvlddmkm.sys

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Using a Program called OCCT I ran a test on my GPU. As the GPU finally went under load with temperatures around 80c, I got the above BSOD

An hour later (a few minutes ago) I attempted the test again after updating my Nvidia drivers back to the latest. My OCCT GPU test froze with temperatures at around 71c and I noticed an obvious graphical error. To any of you who have seen the OCCT test it is a black and red bowl/cone like rendering. The graphical glitch I noticed upon returning to see the test (and my computer) frozen were white streaks and white pixels scattered throughout the screen. When I powered off my computer, I also caught a glimpse of a few green lines around the screen.

I'm beginning to think I have ANOTHER faulty gpu or a bad motherboard in general. If anyone here can read them, I have minidump crash files that I have already sent to my computer's manufacturer. Anyway, I'm very thankful to all of you who have helped me with this constant problems and I'm sorry to keep bothering you all with them, Thanks for everything up to this point and any future assistance you give me.

-Jag

Last edited by jagblade; 04-11-2010 at 06:41 AM..
Old 01-25-2011   #5
sethshawn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. bzb View Post
You could try it. I only remember getting an IRQ error when I had a sound card and graphics card sharing an IRQ, might be worth checking.
I tried it and my problem solved.

Shawn Rocks
sethshawn is offline   Reply With Quote